Meags' Books

Thoughts on the books I've read.

Pride and Prejudice - Carol Howard, Jane Austen It took me a really long time to finish this book. I think I actually started it before Parker was born and she's now almost 14 months old. The reason is that it's simply hard to read. Obviously this book was written before editors and publishing houses, and I really think we're the better for them. They clean it up and make it easier for people to read. I was often confused by which character was speaking after long sections of dialogue. I had to go backward at times and count turns in order to figure it out. My copy had various typos which may or may not have been in the original manuscript. I was actually quite surprised that although there are various film/radio/stage adaptations and parodies, there are few (or no) retellings in a modern era. The work is in the public domain people! I think the story and characters are really quite good, and with all of the distracting language and old timey-ness removed, it could reach a much wider audience. Or some really good editing.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
Andi Watson, Christopher Golden, Dan Brereton
One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
Regina Leeds
The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
Timothy Ferriss